Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Resolve to Resolve


Michelle Luo
January 9, 2015

         The holidays are coming to an end as December passes, and a new year is beginning. A tradition that has been common for decades for the New Years is the New Year’s resolution. This is when people plan a goal for themselves to accomplish for the upcoming year. Many people tend to have plans for dieting, studying, or earning money. The New Year’s resolution sets a goal for people to be motivated and ambitious for the events that will come the following year. But in Colonie Central High School, some students think differently about the idea of having a new year’s resolution.  
                 
         Some students in Colonie Central High School (CCHS) were asked if they had a New Year’s resolution, and most of them answered, “No.” When they were asked why, multiple reasons were given. “I don’t like the idea of it. I think it’s kind of pointless. I mean it’s not bad, but I just don’t come up with a New Year’s resolution,” said Megan Justice, a CCHS student. “I think it’s so dumb. You don’t need a holiday to make you determined to do something. If you really are motivated, the goal can be set anytime in the year,” stated Anjelique Washington, a CCHS student. Some students, like Acacia Morris a student in CCHS, think that it is more important to see what they encounter the next year before coming up with a resolution for the future. “This is why I don’t like to have a New Year’s resolution,” she stated.
                       
           Although some students don’t like the New Year’s resolution, other students have mutual feelings toward it. Some students might come up with one, but then never fulfill it. Neha Meshal, another CCHS student said, “My resolution was to give up pizza, but then I broke it already. I think if you believe the New Year’s resolution works, then, do it. If you don’t believe in it, then, don’t do it.” It is not something they must do, or something that must be set. Rather, it is something to improve or help the people through the New Year. “It is like a time to reflect on what you did and what you want to do. For me, it is not really forming a resolution, but more like acknowledging a problem. I want to do a lot of stuff, but I never get to it. I just want to be a better person and change my habits for the next year and forever. So, it’s not really setting a goal,” said Oneida Shushe, a CCHS student. Other students in CCHS like Courtney Yule says, “I just roll with it, you know, go with the flow. But I don’t come up with a resolution. I don’t even think people do it anymore.”
                
            The students of CCHS are in a new generation, which have a different perspective on the idea of New Year’s resolution. They think that goal setting and changing themselves for the better throughout the year, is better than a onetime thing to set at the end of the year. Even though most students think this way, there are still some people who like to stick to the holiday spirits of creating a New Year’s resolution. Allegra Padula, a CCHS high school senior, stated, “What, yes it is important to have one! It is always good and relevant to have goals and improve yourself.” Many students have different opinions on it now. It can be important to some people or not to others.